Thursday, Friday, Monday, and today, apart from working up the allotment, I have been busy cooking jams and jellies.
To make jellies, you have to cook the fruit, leave it to strain overnight, add sugar, then cook again – I had four sessions doing that, and made four jars of redcurrant and four of gooseberry jellies.
Redcurrant Jelly - so clear you can see right through it.
Yesterday and today I have been making raspberry and redcurrant jam – until I ran out of jam jars.
That seemed to put an end to my preserve making – until I had a idea.
I made a ‘Wanted Jam Jar’ poster and put it through some of my neighbours’ letter boxes.
This resulted in 8 jam jars, left in my porch within fifteen minutes! If I end up with a mountain of them Pat will surely moan – but I can always recycle them.
But I have cooked 20 lbs of the fruit I harvested up the allotment - but with more to do.
Here is a selection of what I have made.
Raspberry and Redcurrant Jam
Gooseberry Jelly - turned from green to pink, once it cooled
Redcurrant Jelly - when you hold it up to the light is so clear and like a ruby.
All I need to do now is to make labels, buy some material for frilly 'hats' to make them look pretty. I still haven't finished making fancy tops for the other 20 or so marmalades, jams, and chutneys I did with all the rhubarb.