We spent four and a half hours up the allotment this week, and areas we had weeded just two weeks ago, looked as though they hadn't been done at all
I decided to get serious, so not only dug up all the weeds,
I dug up everything, onions, potatoes, even a stray comfrey plant.
I harvested courgettes, marrows, pumpkins, Italian beans, runner beans, French beans, borlotti beans
Everything has gone crazy - in a good way (well apart from the weeds)
The mulching with grass cuttings I did between the rows of these potatoes worked well, and we made a start on digging up the 2nd early spuds.
I have some fine looking huge cabbages waiting to be harvested.
O.K. I know this 'after' photo looks ugly, but trust me, I have tried all sorts of organic methods with mustard, and other mulching plants - and they have all been unsuccessful in keeping the weeds at bay after harvesting. We get docks and thistles, and bindweed as well and the annual weeds, and it is just too much work for me to keep up with. So part of my 250ft x 33ft plot just has to be covered when the crops are in.