Mr Lottie joined me today as he wanted a bonfire. I gently steered him away from that idea as I really needed a bit of help today. The weather was damp and cold, it looked like rain - that sort of thing.
Just a reminder that this blog is primarily just a way of recording the hours I put in up the plot, and how it looks over a year etc. It's nice to look back in the middle of the winter when snowed in - to have a reminder of the achievements (or not) the previous year.
Our allotments are in a field on the edge of the village - a bit of a raggle taggle 'shanty' type place! (The allotments, not the village)
It's always windy and often wild. The winter, as usual took it's toll on the fences - that's why these are propped up at the moment in a bid to keep out the rabbits, deer, dogs, and suchlike. First thing we did today was to pull up the rubber mat which was laid right along the middle - where the bare patch is. With Mr Lottie's help we moved it to another section further down the plot - but more of that another day. It's a work in progress.
I made a start on weeding the bed which runs along the ramshackle fence. I planted more fruit bushes, and cuttings here.
It's edged with wood and Mr Lottie took over whilst I barrowed more shredded wood to the fruit cage.
Doesn't it look a right mess - a work in progress though. We had to weed this too.
A candid camera photo of me - looking rather tubby as I am wearing 2 pairs of trousers - waterproofs on top of nice ones. Two jumpers, and a thick jacket - there is always a cold wind up there.
It truly was backbreaking work - but at least the soil was wet and soft and easy to dig
The canes you can see with little yoghurt pots on top (to prevent me poking a eye out) are where there are rhubarb plants. As soon as their leaves grow I'll pull the canes out as they will be easy to see.
I worked myself to a standstill barrowing and spreading all those woodchips in the fruit plot, and it should suppress all the weeds. I wanted to do this to make it more manageable for me as I can only spend a limited of time outdoors - especially if there is any sunshine.
I have managed to shift about two thirds of the pile I reckon
The next time, hopefully, I will be able to move the rest.
I even managed to cover the 'nursery' fruit cuttings bed that Mr L weeded for me, and more besides.
We are due lots of rain over the weekend so I'll be spending it indoors experimenting with some polymer clay